Sunday, July 24, 2016

Farewell Speeches

Argentina Farewell
(Amy Johnson July 24, 2016)
The following was given in an address to the members of our ward as we prepare to leave for Argentina.

Primarily my message is that Heavenly Father loves each and every one of us. His work and joy surrounds us making good choices. The kind of choices that will lead us back into His presence. Let me begin by comparing God’s work to an artist we met while in Nauvoo.

We purchased this iron rose 


in Bentonport Iowa from an Amish artist. If you know much about the Amish, you know that strict observers of the Amish religion do not use modern technology including electricity in the average way. They use horse and buggy for transportation and propane run generators to provide electricity for a few light bulbs and needed tools. Therefore, as you can imagine, this rose was painstakingly produced--heating the iron with hot fire and using simple tools to pound and carve and shape.

Consider that we are born into this world stubborn, selfish, and basically lacking in most God like qualities comparable to the crude iron used to create this piece of art. We like the iron must be transformed. It takes intense heat and pressure to change. We must be willing to resist the adversary and become compliant to the will of He who loves us. Inevitably then, we must be exposed to the adversary and opposition to Heavenly things in order to be in a position to resist one and select the other. The opposition must be enticing, and the rewards for choosing good must not be obvious or immediate. Otherwise, what have we proven? The degree of difficulty must be great enough to prove something and therefore to produce change.

Sometimes life feels too difficult, too painful, too stressful—don’t you think? I imagine Father in Heaven as our artist. We must be heated sufficiently enough to be softened. Softening can come naturally through the trials we face if we let it. We must be molded. We do not know the reasons behind our bumps and bruises. Nor do we know what beautiful shape we are being prepared for. We must learn to trust that this life has purpose and have faith that our trials can be for our good.

Knowing the purpose behind challenges and trials can help us be more patient and make wiser decisions. I bear testimony that as we listen to and follow the advice of prophets, inspired family members, teachers, and church leaders, and especially as we adhere to the guidance of the Holy Ghost, we can feel God’s love. That love is real, it is motivating, and it is the ultimate joy. I have found God’s love more readily when I make following Christ a quest. Constantly, searching—what can I be doing better? What do I lack? How am I being deceived by the adversary and getting off track? What good things should be replaced with better or even the best things? The more we ask, the more tips we’ll get. The more we choose to follow those tips, the more we’ll feel God’s love and receive more guidance.


In closing, let me give you one personal experience to illustrate my point. One time I had a church calling that I just didn’t seem to be fit for. Well, actually, I have had many callings that fit that description, but this time I had been giving my all for several months but still felt that I wasn’t reaching those I had stewardship over, and I seriously felt that someone else could be more effective. I knelt in prayer with the intent of asking for confirmation that I should go to my leaders and recommend my release. The answer that came is sacred to me and I have not ever shared it publically before but feel that it may be a strength to someone here. The words that came clearly into my mind were, “Amy, will you do it for me?” My heart melted and I wanted like never before to do anything that was asked of me. Why? Because I realized that I was known and loved of God. I felt it through my whole body. He knew my name and was aware of my situation and even approved of it knowing that with His help I could overcome and it would be good for me to persevere. He knew precisely what would motive me and it worked. My response was immediately, “Of course I’ll do it for You. I had no idea you were so close or knew me so well or loved me so much”. I don’t know if I became more effective in my calling, (I hope so)but I did have a different attitude. More importantly this experience changed my life and my approach to my challenges.

Once again I know that I am way out of my league going to Argentina. When we went to Nauvoo, I could at least pretend that I knew what I was talking about until I actually figured it out. Now there is no pretending. How can you pretend to speak Spanish? What does help is the knowledge that there is nothing I cannot do with the Lord behind me.

One of the purposes of this life is to learn to do hard things. Exercise a little faith. Take a few steps into the unknown. Trust the Lord to come through for you and bridge the gap between what you can offer and what is needed to complete the task at hand. 


May I offer you my testimony that I hold sacred and has been verified by the Holy Ghost. I know with every fiber of my being that God lives. He loves each of you and me. He knows us. He knows our name, and is rooting for us all the time to overcome evil in the world. To do that we must learn to love, to serve, and to be obedient to His requests. I know that Christ is our Savior and the only way back to our Heavenly Father. Christ’s atonement is real and powerful enough for any who are humble followers of Christ to overcome the effects of sin—any sin. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ’s church. Christ is literally the cornerstone and it is all true. That doesn’t mean that individual members of the church are anywhere near perfect, but it does mean that the gospel principles are from God and can save us from our sins. I testify that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. The Book of Mormon is indeed a true record of an ancient people here in America. That book can bring us closer to God than any other. We have a living prophet of God and apostles today who help teach us the words of divine wisdom that can bring happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come.

May we all work to know and love God so that we can sit down in Heaven together.



No comments: